Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Most Of Us Aren't Professional Athletes

We at Marathon Coaching Consultants want our clients/athletes to know that although running may be an important part of their lives, it shouldn't be the end all and be all, especially when stacking it up against family, friends, and your career.

You say, "of course Dave, don't be silly!", but I'll let you know, that many people I meet in Ahwatukee, Tempe, Chandler, and Phoenix areas are just so hard on themselves.

"I have to make Boston!"
"I have to make it to Kona!"
"I have to break 4 hours for the marathon!"
"I need to workout 7 days a week!"

Stop the insanity, people! Unless you're single, your kids are out of the house and all grown up, or your spouse is just as much as an endurance nut as you, you need to put life into a bit of perspective.

I'm living proof of this. When I first moved out here in Ahwatukee, I was trying to make the Olympic Trials in the marathon, which at the time was a time of 2:22 for the "B Standard". My best is and was 2:27, and so to cut off 5 minutes was going to be a large feat. Did I mention my son was just 1 year old, we had just bought our 1st home, and I was working at nights. Yep, not a great recipe for success. I was running 80-100 mi/wks, and my wife was annoyed at me, for good reason, because I was a walking zombie...And for what?! So, I could say I made it to the Olympic Trials. There wasn't a chance in hell I was going to make the Olympics. True, it would have been awesome to achieve that goal, but at what cost?

Now that I'm nearing 40 in less than 3 months, I more than ever know the need to have balance between my love for running and the rest of my life...

I of course, wish to be as competitive as I can, but not to the detriment of quality time with my family, friends, and career.

It's hard to keep this balance, but remind yourself, that for most of us running should be something we enjoy. And although it's great having personal goals, unless we are making a living to reach these goals, they shouldn't take precedence over other facets of our daily lives.

Run hard, play hard, love hard...

We here at Marathon Coaching Consultants believe in balance, and will help any runner, of any ability reach his/her goal safely, effectively, and sanely...

"Human Kindess Through Running".

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2010 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous David said...

Great to see you sharing your insights with the blogosphere, David. And a great first post subject! For sure, the feeling of achievement I felt in "crushing" PF Chang's in just under 6 hours :)has been diminished over time by the evil inner voice saying "you could have done way better." But hopefully it's made room for the hard-won realization that there is nothing as joyful as seeing the grinning faces of your wife and kids as you waddle over the finish line. Or gaining the wisdom that anything is indeed possible. Tear it up, buddy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Running coach in Phoenix, AZ. USATF certified. Former Division I runner (University of Pennsylvania). Masters' All-American. 2:27.17 marathon PR.

 Subscribe in a reader