Friday, February 19, 2010

Welcome to Marathon Coaching Consultants

This is my first post for my business, Marathon Coaching Consultants. I am a 39 year old owner of this coaching business in Phoenix, AZ. What we do is coach everyday people to finish anything from 5ks to marathons. I also personally coach some up and coming high school runners in all distances. Lastly, I am the co-head men's and women's cross country coach at Mountain Pointe High School, as well as the distance coach there on the track and field side. I am USATF level I certified, and will most likely become level II certified either this year or in 2011.

I have been running for nearly my whole life, since the age of 5 years old. I ran for Irvington High School back in the mid to late 80s, where I still hold the school record for the 2-mile run (9:20), the 1000 yard indoor run (2:33.1), and was part of the school record 4x400 relay team (3:23). From there I ran for the University of Pennsylvania, where, to be frank, I didn't truly run to my full potential, but still managed to run a 3:51 1500m.

Post-college running has been pretty good for me. In my late 20s I was able to run a 2:27.17 marathon. In my 30s I have been able to maintain a pretty competitive running form by running sub-16 minute 5ks, sub-32 minute 10Ks, sub 4:30 miles, and sub-2 minute 800 meter races.

Now, as I close in on 40 (birthday in May), and with two young ones (5 and 1), I find that I get more joy from coaching people than attaining my personal running aspirations. I will always be competitive, and I think I have one more serious push in me at maintaining some fast speeds at distances from the 800m to the marathon...

I will always be fit and I will always run, because that's one of the love's of my life, but I see in the near future my sub-elite level training coming to a close and focusing on raising my family and continuing to help people fulfill their personal goals out there on the roads and track...

So, to change gears, I will use this blog, to give training advice, perspectives on certain running issues or training philosophies, my core running beliefs, editorial comments on anything related to running/endurance sports, useful information that I find may interest you regarding my business and overall fitness information...

I am by no means what I would call a "running geek" - not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not who I am. I enjoy running, am great at motivating people, and am knowledgeable in the sport of running; but if you want me to quote you times from the 1994 Boston Marathon from the top of my head, I'm not that guy (but kind of in a peculiar way, wish I were).

I will post about 2-3 times per week, so hopefully we can get a good exchange of ideas and comments in the weeks and months ahead.

I believe in "Human Kindness through Running" and that's what I will try to bring forth on this blog on a consistent basis.

Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Running coach in Phoenix, AZ. USATF certified. Former Division I runner (University of Pennsylvania). Masters' All-American. 2:27.17 marathon PR.

 Subscribe in a reader